Begriffe • Geschichten • Technologie

Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Embracing Hawaiian Culture

First published: Kalani Blog (January 2011, archived Version)

Dedication

Replica of the Turkish crescent presented to King David Kalākaua on the occasion of his visit to Berlin
On July 29, 1881, King David Kalākaua arrived in Berlin at the Lehrter Bahnhof, where the main railway station in Berlin is located today. German Emperor William I later sent a „Schellenbaum“ (Turkish crescent) to the King bearing the Hawaiian inscription „no ka hoomanao ana ia Berlin“ (to commemorate Berlin), which was then used by the Royal Hawaiian Band. Hālau Hula „No Ka Hoʻomanaʻo Ana Ia Berlin“ cherishes the long-standing traditions of Hawaiʻi-Berlin connections and particularly honors the memory of Harry Maitey, the first Hawaiian in Prussia, who lived here from 1824 to 1872.
My personal tribute to the 140th anniversary of the arrival of King Kalākaua in Berlin is the review of my blog entry „Embracing Hawaiian Culture“ supplemented with some images and links reflecting the constant changes in Puna.

Distant Plume from Puhi-o-Kalaikini
Distant Plume from Puhi-o-Kalaikini (Tim Orr,
U.S. Geological Survey, Public domain)
When I drove down the highway towards Kalapana on September 6th, 2010, it was not the first time that I looked forward to spending a vacation in Kalani. But this time was different, and that became clear as soon as I spotted the plume of Puhi-o-Kalaikini where Pele is fighting with her sister Nāmaka. Never before, since my first visit to Puna in 1993, the ocean entry of a lava flow was so close to Kalapana, and it made me wonder what surprises I could expect during the next month.

While entering the Red Road I felt like I was coming home. At the same time I saw the differences: there were only a few Lehua blossoms to spot. Well, my last visit in 2006 was during the Merrie Monarch Festival, and I had been told already that the islands had been suffering from a serious drought for a long time. But soon I reached Kehena where the dark green tunnel over the road covered the signs of water shortage. Then I was surprised, because Hale Aloha right at the ocean front of Kalani wasn't there 4 years ago. How would the larger Kalani be different from the smaller community that I had experienced during several visits as a guest since 1998?

Ocean Vista
Soon I would know, because this time I would be a “Sabbatical Volunteer” – volunteering for two days every week and enjoying all the guests’ amenities for the remaining days. But even as a guest I would have the privileges like a regular volunteer with free classes and the choice to spend my time with other guests or in the ʻohana. Checking in at the “Guest Services” brought me back into the relaxed atmosphere of the place again – the friendly welcome, familiar faces and voices, and I'd live at “Ocean Vista” in the house which I knew from my last stay in 2006 already.

The following days were filled with friendly “welcome back” memories, introducing myself to new volunteers and the soothing rhythm of life between sunrise and sunset. My idea to work on Wednesdays and Thursdays was accepted by Barcus, the manager of the agriculture department, and so the next Wednesday I started my volunteer work. After breakfast I joined my soon-to-be coworkers on the truck to the nursery where we started with a short meeting. I introduced myself to the others, and was welcomed by the small crew of the day. I learned that my choice of working Wednesdays and Thursdays would be perfect, because these days are reserved for projects mostly.

Path for guests
During the four weeks I stayed in Kalani we worked on a new path for guests and staff along the road. For me this project evolved into a very satisfying experience. Combined with the botanical tour given by Barcus, I learned a lot about the plants on the property and their traditional use by Hawaiians. Joining the Lauhala weaving classes with Lynda Tuʻa and the Hula classes with Jonathan Kaleikaukeha Lopez every Tuesday completed my adventures in Hawaiian culture and nature in a beautiful way.

All these wonderful classes and the work in the agriculture department were also connected by the inspiring teachers as well as the tradition in Kalani to start every activity with the “E ho mai” chant written by Edith Kanakaʻole. When I look back on the year 2010 now, these four weeks as a sabbatical volunteer in Kalani were not only a cultural and educational experience, but nurturing for body and soul at the same time.
I'm very grateful for the time that I could spend with the wonderful people in Kalani and for their affection. And therefore stronger then during my earlier visits I felt the prophetic meaning of the Hawaiian farewell “a hui hou” – until we meet again.

Editorial notes

The original version (Jan 4, 2011) has been edited slightly. Images and links were added.

Changes in Puna

The ongoing activities of the volcano goddess Pele have changed the landscape in Puna since 2010 quite remarkably. Lava reached the Ocean at different locations, stopped and formed an ocean entry again. Beginning in 2014 the lava threatened Pāhoa for some time before in 2016 the lava accessed the ocean again at Kamokuna – just to mention some major changes. Then the eruption period since 1983 ended with the quite dramatic finale of  the lower Puna eruption in 2018 which effected many places I had known for many years. For example the freshwater lake Ka Wai o Pele in the crater Puʻu Kapoho existed probably about 400 years before Pele decided to take a bath in this jewel of natural beauty. Due to the volcanic fumes Kalani had to close and was reopened in 2019. At the end of 2020 a new eruption phase started within Halemaʻumaʻu at Kīlauea's summit caldera but lasted only until May 2021. Who knows what will be next?

Images

Puhi-o-Kalaikini Ocean Entry Puhi-o-Kalaikini Ocean Entry (Tim Orr, U.S. Geological Survey, Public domain)
Ka Wai o Pele Ka Wai o Pele (2003)
Ka Wai o Pele: comparison of satellite images Ka Wai o Pele: comparison of satellite images (2018)
A view of Kapoho Crater A view of Kapoho Crater. Green Lake was previously near the center of the crate (Public domain)

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment